This week we began some new traditions for this school year. Following traditions represent a critical piece of our culture. They help form the structure and foundation of our greater society. They remind us that we are part of a history that defines our past, they help shape who we are today and who we are likely to become. We work daily to honor the concept of traditions to Newtowne. In the way we embrace each tradition, the tradition itself becomes a tool for creating our own sense of history, connection and value.
- Tradition contributes a sense of comfort and belonging. They bring us together and enables us purposeful time to connect.
- Tradition reinforce our core values such as the importance of personal connection, giving a voice to the children, and in turn a respectful ear, the key role of ‘conversation’ in how we learn to communicate with one another, and the celebration of our oneness as a whole community .
- Tradition provides us a venue to celebrate the things that really matter to us in our lives.
- Tradition offers a chance to say “thank you” for the contributions that have been made.
- Tradition enables us to showcase the principles of our values, celebrate diversity, and unite as an entity.
- Tradition serves as an avenue for creating lasting memories for our families and friends.
- Tradition offers an excellent context for meaningful pause and reflection.
ref: Follow Your Conscience: Make a Difference in Your Life & in the Lives of Others By Frank Sonnenberg © 2014
On or near the first of each month, we aim to meet together in Margaret Jewett Hall as an entire community. This Thursday, October 1st we met just before lunch to greet each other and to celebrate the new beginning of our year.
Our plan was minimal. We chose to let the event unfold on its own, and by bringing trust to the process we found ourselves in the midst of a song filled celebration. Each class chose a song to sing, and in no time friends popped up to sing their own solo renditions of their favorites. Each solo was greeted with cheer and applause, encouraging more to share!
We also began the tradition of bringing Yoga to Newtowne. Mariana Rodriguez joined us this Friday to work with each group on their breathing, stretching and centering. Her playful muse and use of simple tools such as a singing bowl, small puff balls on our bellies to focus on our breathing, and simple stories that encourage movement and stretching brought us together in this new tradition.
May i just say, there is nothing more sweet on this earth than doing yoga with two year olds…
We welcome these new traditions, and look forward to you taking part in these new traditions during your parent helping support days.